Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Dream and The Pact

What is the one resource that a General can never get back?

Time. Weapons, men, cities can all be taken back or regained, but time is gone forever. I'd like to say that's a quote from Art of War, but I think it's actually from Narnia or something crap like that.

Then we have "Time is money". I disagree with this one, it implies Money is the important resource, I prefer "Money is time". And this is where we start. Money is important because it buys you time.

So for me, really living is using my time how I want to and in ways that make me feel good, happy, content. This is almost always spending time with friends and family eating and enjoying ourselves. Unforunately we recently received a cease and desist from Greenpeace, ordering us not to have any more friends as the rapid northern migration of said friends is causing a tilt in the earth's axis.

(btw I sneakily backdated this post so it appears before the next topic)

And this is the problem. We are all living such different lives, leading in such different directions. But is there a convergence? Is it possible to have a convergence? Is it possible to have a time down the timeline where we can work out how to live such a similar life that we can cross paths more than twice a year if we're lucky?

From my perspective, and I think I'm lucky, the grass is always greener on My side of the fence. I'm comfortable where I'm at (this is also know as Lazy). When I'm in Elands I think what a great life I could have there, when I'm in Sydney I'm content and happy and can imagine having a great life here too. But I can see that Sydney is not so easy for anyone who doesn't have the great fortune to have a subsidised living arrangment.

I'm going to put my priorities out there in the hope that when you others read it you might see where we can meet on common ground.
1. Family - I think this is pretty obvious. I'm not going anywhere my family isn't.
2. Time - I'm not going to waste my life doing something I hate. I have to enjoy what I'm doing and use all my daily life well. I also want to be able to do what I want with my time, with as little restriction as possible. I suppose this is entirely selfishness.. but surely the point of living, as an individual, is to enjoy yourself?
3. Food - Yeah sure, you're all laughing now. But really ask yourself, could you put this list in any other order? Actually maybe some of you could... but by food I say good, healthy, enjoyable food. Could you take a job that pays stacks of money, but you have to eat McDonalds everyday, and be away from your family.. and you hate it there? Hmmm... Maybe I'm alone here.. but that's how I roll (and I probably will if I keep it this high in my priorities)
4. Money - As much as I hate to put this higher than the next priority, I'm trying to be as honest as possible. It's not about materialism, it's about investing in Future-time, when I'm unable to or not wanting to work. It's also about takes away restriction on time, as above. This does, however, have limits, and has to work in conjuction with all the other points.
5. Friends - It's horrible that this is below point 4 and perhaps this is where the problem is, but I'm trying to be realistic. If it were not below 4 I would have quit my job a long time ago, moved to Elands when everyone else was there, spent our savings on visiting those of you who are trying to topple the planet. Unfortunately we really do need money to enjoy our lives. As romantic as it sounds I don't know if I've got the self sustaining farmer life in me.
6. Travel - I just dig that shit.

Ok. So looking at the above, I look pretty bleak. I'm a family man, that's OK.. but then I'm a selfish, greedy, money hungry person who puts their friends (second) last. If I look at this list though, I think I'm pretty sorted. I don't think my family is going anywhere without me. I'm generally happy with what I'm doing, if I don't like it, I stop. Luckily, in Australia, we can have great food wherever we are, and the same is the case in most countries we're likely to go to. I've got a job that I enjoy and that pays reasonably well. It's the next two point where we start to hit the blockages.

I have to somehow work out how to make money (doesn't have to be a lot, but I have to be able to save, while living comfortably and enjoying what I do, and hopefully pay for overseas adventures) and get you bitches to be in the same fricken postcode, at
least the same first two digits.

This is where the Dream comes in. In and ideal world for ME, we'd all live within walking distance, maybe a pushbike ride or short drive, be earning plenty of money (doing something we enjoy, but with time to do all the other things we want), and be spend the rest of our time eating and preparing to eat, with the occassional (or not so occasional) trip overseas. Preferably with the rest of you.

Is this possible? Unfortunately I don't have zombie friends and I have to ask, persuade, cojole. So I'm going to ask some questions, if you have time, perhaps you could answer and maybe we can seek convergence.

1. Do you share this dream?
2. Do you believe it is possible?
3. Is Australia the place for this to happen? (other suggestions welcome)
4. Is Elands the place for this to happen? (other suggestions welcome)
5. How important is location to you? Do you need aspects of the city/country/ocean/mountain?
6. Would we get shit bored in Elands, if not how many of us would have to go back for us not to get shit bored?
7. WTF can we do for money?

So. If we are even close to any sort of convergence, I'd like to propose a pact, maybe a soft pact, like a goal really. Let's just say Elands is the place. We could propose to try it, all at the same time for 6 months in, say, 2 years, or something similar.

Thoughts? Pipe dreams?

15 comments:

  1. Hells yeah biatches!! See youse there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it sounds like an awesome plan! And I think it would be super fun & entirely possible to form/develop ways to make money/industry.. Its is so beautiful in Elands :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm ready. So let's go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like... No actually, I love it! For me Elands works nostalgically, emotionally, beautifully, tranquilly... On practical matters though e.g. where do I get my weekly pho fix?! I'm trying to think what else I might care about but that's all I can think of for now. Oh yeah, the money thing.

    Anyone read 'A town like Alice?'

    So, some ideas for income WTF?
    1. Eco canoes handmade from hemp resin
    2. Lottery syndicate
    3. Posh mountain eco retreat that city folk will pay $$$ to stay in, because it is walking distance from Australia's most stuning waterfall and far far from everything else (but close enough for a weekend).
    4. Variation on above but with mountain biking angle and a well equipped camp site.
    5. An annual themed festival eg jap fest where you could learn japanese arts and crafts, eat Japanese food and play takeshi's castle. repeat as desired or change theme each year.
    6. Grow truffles.
    7. Start an RSPCA approved organic foi gras duck/goose farm where the birds gorge themselves naturally preparing for migration.
    8. Ummmmmm

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS and I believe Kenji's pipe dream is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, you asked specific questions, so
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Probablly - can't think of anywhere better atm
    4. See Q3
    5. I want it all! But then, Elands has bits and the rest aren't too far.
    6. Possibly/probably, unless we've got awesome hobbies/jobs and or core 'gang' of at least 5, where 1 = a family unit / couple / individual keen to hang out.
    7. See long comment above. I've always wanted to make hedge maze. Can we fit that in somewhere? :) What about chipping in to buy a big block (prolly elsewhere), subdivide, add utilities and sell parcels for a profit?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post was close to the bone. 1.5 years ago I was still on track to do what I had dreamed and planned since at least 2002. Finished getting 'educated', the next step was to take my new skills to The Manning. I could finally give something back to the community, and I would continue to benefit from the community and surrounds. Then my life made a, not completely unexpected, change in direction. I don't know what's happened to my dream except that it's still in me...

    Kenji's questions:

    1. Do you share this dream? Yes. Maybe my bottom line is lower(?): If I was living in The Manning, I’d even be happy to see many of my friends when they visit the Manning, which happens already on a regular basis; I’m happy to earn enough to only have to work part-time, yes, the times I spend with family and friends would, of course, involve good food… great food; I do not dream of being able to afford trips overseas -although that sounds nice, especially with friends.
    2. Do you believe it is possible? Yes... my dream was and is(?). Kenji's dream, yes, but more difficult, basically because not everyone has the same passion to live in the same places.. and at the same time.
    3. Is Australia the place for this to happen? Of course it's the best option: we all have strong to very strong connections with. Besides, "it's the 4th best country in the world" ( http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/15/interactive-infographic-of-the-worlds-best-countries.html# ) and I don't think we're all going to move to Finland, Sweden or Switzerland, right? A less developed country might sounds great, but it's unlikely.
    4. Is Elands the place for this to happen? Yes, or The Manning Valley at least. I just feel very pro about this and we all have connections there already, and it's beautiful, and there's a lot of untapped potential... somewhere where we really could be a part of something special, like when our parents moved to the area.
    5. How important is location to you? Do you need aspects of the city/country/ocean/mountain? I want access to services and culture, but The Manning has more than enough to last me the best part of a year. A week in Sydney can sort me out for the rest. Most of all, I want to live where I love to be and that's closer to nature, be it the mountains, desert, or sea. I want to wake up and see something really beautiful every day before I go to or start work. And, really, I want to be in my community, and that's The Manning.
    6. Would we get shit bored in Elands, if not how many of us would have to go back for us not to get shit bored? This has never been an issue for me and I think never will be, but I do realise that some people have a desire for more or different stimuli. I'll never get to do all the things I'd like to do in my life, but living in Elands/Manning would only increase the likelihood that I would do these things.
    7. WTF can we do for money? Get a job. This is easy for me to say, my education was primarily chosen to be compatible with finding employment in The Manning. Another option is to invest in a small brewery (beer/whiskey?). The main ingredient is found in Elands (water), it is highly exportable (to places in Sydney), there is not enough local boutique beer available for the demand in the Australian market (in my opinion), other ingredients are importable in bulk, alcohol is ideal in that it can be stock piled over 10 months and then brewing can be stopped for 2 months while we go on holidays, if done in a beautiful built building with a licence, it would add a new element to the Elands culture and tourist economy, it could be a seed from which to expand (thinking bakery, cafe, art gallery, etc)

    As for it happening for me... only time will tell now. In the meantime, I bless anyone who makes the commitment and forges ahead on their own steam. I hope to see you there one day.

    As for the pho, you can make it better at home, as Berni has proved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete