Saturday, May 1, 2010

Whether you like it or not, here is the weather.


Image: ledana9

So I picked this topic... weather. At the time I was 35 weeks pregnant and I had become obsessed with the weather. I'd downloaded iPhone weather Aps which I checked with religious fervor. I began to understand humidity and what it meant in real life.... it was shocking. Summer raged on and on and on and on into Autumn and I felt every rise in Celsius more acutely than a teenage girl feeling the need to squeal when she sees Robert Pattinson as Edward Cullen on screen for the first time.

I imagined my creative commentary for this post was going to be a picture of me. Appropriately fecund, standing in the rain... the rain I dreamed of, the rain that; according to Oz Weather, BOM, various random Google searches and standard weather reports, was just not coming. I waited, checking the forecast at every opportune time, which is often when you aren't working and waking too many times to count in the night to pee.

Then it came...... one hot ridiculously humid day, clouds. I looked up into the sky praying to all and any god that would listen. "Open up them there clouds and rain down on me like never before, cast out all ye precipitation right now, right here. I am ready." I wanted rain that would make Noah look like a madman spouting crazy talk, I wanted it to last forever.

It sucked. No need even for an umbrella.... then the sun came out and the steam rose from the road. There, mocking me in the sky, like a double chocolate mudcake at a Weight Watchers meeting, was a rainbow. I cried.

How could this go on? How could I go on? Sleep deprived because of the aforementioned nocturnal whizzing sessions and not to mention the fact the preggo ladies actually run a hotter average temperature than the general public, it felt impossible.

The idea of a picture of me, standing in the rain, appropriately fecund, arty and whimsical, hurt my brain.

It's cooler now, I never check the weather reports. My cankles have reduced to a respectable size, and I realise that much of the sleep deprivation was due to a lack of naps that were downright impossible to have in the sauna of life that was merely a month ago.

So here is my post. It is not the imagined arty photograph as representation of weather in relation to the gestating female form. Just a moment in time, that has passed, and has made way for other moments.... kind of like the weather.

5 comments:

  1. Go the pregnant woman, conquering the earth, recreating the universe, and generally keeping it real, real hot that is. Thinking of you all the time... perhaps the next theme should be time..
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You almost lost me at "Robert Pattinson as Edward Cullen"... but then you recaptured this non-teenage-non-girl. Loved your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! The torture of humidity - and the soon forgotton joy of its passing. What would we do without BOM? More afternoon naps for everybody! Especially sleep deprived awesome preggers women :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's cool, but ur still hot ;)

    Roo, Jaco told me that you wanted a special corner of the bathroom so you could hang your Robert Pattinson posters, so I'm not quite sure what your comment was about?

    ReplyDelete