Sunday, October 10, 2010

She's crafty... (and shiny)

OK, so I've really been getting into this ride-around-all-over-the-place thing. For me, it makes London a much more liveable, and lovely city. It's just the best feeling of having control over my day. The downer is having nothing to wear. Well, there is - lots of sporty, flashy, flourescent, heath and safety road warrior wear. I just don't like it. I just want to be me, going about my day (or night), but with wheels. So I got crafty...

The first experiment came after my mum visited in July. We went for some nice rides and she observed (as any good mum should) that with my black backpack, dark helmet and dark shorts, that cars behind might not see me and I'd inevitably be squished etc. So to keep mum happy I made this
backpack cover (modelled here by a my most classy chair) using hot pink silk and reflective thread. The roses (one reflectly and one from an inner tube) I added a few weeks later.
The next project was to create something that would masquerade as regular accessories and then at night reveal themselves as fab cycle bling. And so some humble pedal reflectors became cutting edge cycle couture. And now that I can be me and be seen I can ride my bicycle happily ever after.
NOTE TO INSPIRAZZI PURISTS: The backpack cover is cheating because I made it months ago and then strategically chose a bike theme to fit around it. But I really truly only made the other stuff last week, so that's OK, right?




















2 comments:

  1. So awesome! Surely there is a market for such cleverness? I think this is inspirazzi at it's purest...being inspired, both being the inspirer and the inspired. LOVE it Bronski, you're so cool xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so more than "okay". This was never a competition, but you just won!

    ReplyDelete