Saturday, September 11, 2010

New Post and Comment feeds

Hey all,

Country Squire asked me how we can alerted when a new post or comment is added.
We can do this by subscribing to a 'feed'. There is a feed for posts and one for comments. For those in the know, the URLs are;
For Posts
http://inspirazzi.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

For Comments
http://inspirazzi.blogspot.com/feeds/comments/default

I only have Thunderbird on my machine, so I'll run through how to subscribe to a feed on that. I think you can subscribe from within Gmail itself, but haven't looked into it. If you use Mail or any other Application to check your mail, there will probably be a way to check from there.

In Thunderbird go to the Tools menu -> Account Settings.
Press the button on the bottom left Account Actions -> Add Other Account
Select Blog & News Feeds -> Next
Rename the account or leave it as Default (Note this name is for ALL feeds, not just Inspirazzi) -> Next -> Finish
Select Blog & News Feeds (or whatever you called it) from the window on the left of the Account settings Window. Click Manage Subscriptions -> Add.
Under Feed URL: put one of the URL's I've suggested above -> Ok
Close the Feed Subscriptions Window and press OK on the Account Settings Window

You should now have that feed show up as an account in Thunderbird and will be alerted when new content is posted. Note you'll have to repeat the Subscription Process for both Posts and Comments if you want them

5 comments:

  1. Ah.. to check it in Gmail just click on Reader in the top Left, near Calendar etc.. It'll probably have you following it already, but I had to add another for Comments. You can also do it through settings -> Webclips, but I ignore that area of Gmail.

    To check a feed in Mail, there are steps here
    http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#addrssfeed

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, I notice those feed links aren't on the page ... don't I usually see such listed by default? With the nice little Orange/white RSS icon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, I put some pics of that (Google Reader) up Jok, in case anyone needs to be spoon fed.. err shown the way visually =)

    http://deez-place.blogspot.com/2010/09/rss-feeds-and-google-reader.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks D. The spoon was right up my alley. Thank Kenji. I get it now. Now all I have to do is remember to look at Reader instead of the Inpirazzi site o_O

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi, is there any feeds for statistics?

    ReplyDelete